Friday, July 21, 2006

Time constructively spent

On May 24, Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez hustled down the first baseline, beating the one-hop throw of his counterpart for the Cubs. The scorer, whose anonymity I shall here protect, awarded Ramirez an infield hit. The Cubs' starter, Greg Maddux proceeded to give up five runs before recording the third out. Eight weeks later, after an appeal by the Cubs, and one would assume, Maddux, that scoring decision was reversed. Ramirez had, it now would read, reached on an error. History had been rewritten and those five ensuing runs were now unearned. Maddux was at that time on my fantasy baseball team roster. I did some math, which I am not wont to do. Taking away those 5 earned runs from my cumulative statistics would lower my team ERA by .0421, which in turn would move me ahead of one of the other fantasy teams in that scoring category, earning me an additional point. Oh the excruciating minutiae confronting the obsessed (I would say "attentive") fantasy baseball owner! I appealed to the league commissioner, who forwarded my appeal to the 5 X 5 rotisserie league powers-that-be. To my disappointment, our league's scoring is "updated to reflect official scoring corrections that occur up to seven days after the game has been completed." I found myself stuck with five earned runs that had never scored. Of course, I could get a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home