Friday, December 08, 2006

Melting Moments

No, Dear Reader, not some psychedelic flashback to, or from the 1960s. Melting Moments are the recipe du jour in in my quest for 125 dozen cookies. You can do the math, or read my last post. It's a pretty simple recipe: flour (unsifted), confectioners sugar, corn starch, vanilla and butter. That's it. I usually don't use my Kitchenaid upright mixer for cookie dough because the dry ingredients have a tendency to erupt in a powdery mist, dusting me and the surrounding area in a ghostly white. I thought if I was careful and kept the mixing speed at low...Well I was partially right, and partially wrong. Instead of an eruption there was more of what I would call a burp of flour, confectioner's sugar and corn starch. The dough is in the refrigerator for the prescribed hour to firm up. Then I'll roll the dough into small balls, place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, and stamp them flat. The stamp I use is ceramic and has an image of a snowflake. A passing nod to pagan idolatry which suits me just fine. After the 90 Chinese Almond Cookies I made yesterday, I hope to reach at least 200, maybe even 250 today. It's hard to gauge how many cookies will come from a mixing bowl containing a big amorphous glob of dough. I did triple the recipe though, and am optimistic. I remember as a kid, the trick to eating Melting Moments is to hold them in your mouth for a few seconds. They do melt in your mouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home