Monday, November 03, 2008

Flag on the play?

New recipes are not daunting as they once were. Don't ask me why and I shall not lie. I saw a recipe in the New York Times for kasha varnishkes. The name attracted me because of the Eastern European feel to it. And Frank Costanza ate kasha. I read the narrative and the recipe. A traditional Jewish dish consisting of kasha (buckwheat groats), chicken fat, onion and farfalle pasta. Salt and pepper too, if you're gonna get all technical on me Dear Reader. I substituted olive oil for the chicken fat. Not for any health consideration, but because I simply couldn't find any rendered chicken fat at the store. A beautiful Mayan onion, a huge Mayan onion yielded the 2-plus cups of diced onion called for in the recipe. It came out very nice. Lots of ground pepper is suggested when serving and I will concur. It was a great side dish for the pork chops that Susie grilled to perfection on the barbecue. We were not being disrespectful by any means. It's not like I substituted bacon fat for the chicken fat. (A consideration I am mulling.) Is it even irreverent if one doesn't recognize it until after the fact? If it is, than it must certainly be respectfully irreverent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home