Wednesday, May 16, 2007

That's the spot

OK, OK. Yeah. I know. Another cataloging post. But this one has so much more! I gave Jim the sample produced using the map cataloging template I had created. It's really pretty straightforward. I looked over the Huntington Library's map template, and combined some of their ideas with some of my own, et voila! It flowed. He liked it. A lot. It will be the basis for cataloging his collection of 16th-early 18th Century maps. I really was pleased how well it turned out Dear Reader, and I wanted to share it with you. Uh oh. Now how was I going to do THAT? I figured out how to save a FileMaker file as a PDF file. In and of itself, pretty neat. Yet utterly useless for my purposes. I did try to upload the PDF file here, but was told, sternly, that the file must be a JPEG, or, I forgot what else. As far as I knew. A technological inquiry was rendered. I asked a Geek. Politely. (Do not be offended by the Geek label...you know who you are. Besides, I doubt you read Pedestrian Subjunctives. I sometimes doubt anybody does. Most of the time I do. But, I digress. (It has been awhile since I digressed, hasn't it?)). ALT + SCREEN PRINT the PDF file. Go to ACCESSORIES. Select PAINT. PASTE and...there's the screen. Then simply save the file as a JPEG. Cool. Yes? No. The sample record exceeds the limitations of a single screen. Now what? I was in a box. I had to get out. I printed another copy of the FileMaker file copy of the map sample. I then scanned it, cropped it neatly, and saved it to the trusty ole memory stick, brought it to this terminal, and uploaded it here. I don't know whether or not anyone should be afraid. Leave a window open. For air. Really.

Now, Dear Reader, for the spooky part. How would one catalog THIS image? A manifestation of a scanned copy of a metadata record of a government map, the image of which was scanned and uploaded into that record, which was then scanned and uploaded here. Meta-what? Yeah. There's some kind of redundancy there. I know. I did it on purpose. I think I did. I think I did. And does anybody know how to create and insert degree symbols in FileMaker? Should they? Why? Why not? Even though it's only Mississippi, I need to know. Don't I?

New acquisition: CRASS "The Feeding of the 5000"
On order: ELASTICA
On order: TUFF DARTS

How do you know you don't like it, unless you try it first? Scratch my ennui. Yeah. Right there. Don't tickle.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home