Friday, June 15, 2007

Mum's the word

A sunny nearly-summer afternoon. Scratch that. A sunny nearly-summer afternoon!!! What to do? I know! I'll catalog a shelf of books. Not just any shelf, but the final shelf. In my living room anyway. But when I logged into LibraryThing there was a comment from another user. How impossibly cool! Like way chilly. Way, way!

"Hello. Would you please add the author 'Groiler Incorporated' to your Book of Popular Science? Doing so will allow it to be combined with the rest of the set. Please leave me a comment once you have done so. Thanks!"

I will admit it's a bit weird for me to catalog my books online. It's a bit weird to catalog my Pez dispensers in FileMaker. But, I do not perform database maintenance on other people's private libraries, even if they are available for public viewing. Do not misundertand me Dearest of Dear Readers. I really did appreciate the comment. Really truly I did. I responded to the commenter:

"Thank you for your suggestion. Initially, after reading your comment, I added Grolier Inc. as an author. This morning I consulted AACR2 cataloging rules and determined that as publisher of the set Book of Popular Science, Grolier would not be given a corporate author entry, primary or added. I really do appreciate your comment, and, for the record, it is 'Grolier,' not 'Groiler." It's what I do for a living. Thank you."

And I meant it.

Finally, for the time being, the moment even, D.R., I have added a link to My Library. Having completed most of my cataloging, I decided it was time. It's the link that says "My Library." You knew that though. Tool around if you'd like. I won't tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home