Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Points with the wife. I mean runs.

Venerable Civic Stadium. There are so many memories for me here I couldn't begin to relate them all Dear Reader. It is sad that minor league baseball in Eugene will be moving to the University's new facility beginning next season. I am sad. Part of me, a big part of me, is being closed. Fading with time into increasingly blurry yet still golden memories. Then anecdotes. Then passing thoughts. Then just fragments of same. Sure, I have memorabilia gathered over the 41 years that I haunted the bleachers. An autographed program from the 1969 season. The foul ball the boy retrieved, breaking his arm in doing so, the blood now almost brown. That's enough. I can't go on. There are three games left and that will be it. The stadium and the players are all a lot smaller now than when I was a kid, fetching RC colas and fudgesicles for the sports writers in the press box and hanging out in the dugouts and the locker rooms after games while my dad interviewed players. July 15, 2006. Without a doubt this was my favorite game. You see Dear Reader, it was on that day that Susie and I had our first date. I don't even remember who won. Oh wait, I remember now. I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home