Thursday, August 03, 2006

Luncheon litigiousness

I really would like to stay all over the map with what I write about in this space. However, circumstances dictate that we revisit the topic of food, sooner than I would have in normal rotation. Yes food again, specifically cereal. Apparently, putting chocolate milk on Peanut Butter Crunch is "wrong." This was news to me, delivered by a tyro. Residual McCarthyism. A passerby chimed in with some observations on another of my favorites. Something to the effect of 'Has he mentioned his peanut butter and frosting sandwiches?' So, dear reader, here we are, responding to the subpoena to appear before the Un-American Culinary Activities Committee. The roots of the sandwiches in question can be traced to the fluffernutter, a sandwich of peanut butter and marshmallow cream, probably in the wide wake of Elvis. Peanut butter and chocolate frosting on balloon bread is certainly not a stretch. Add some sliced bananas and you've established a modicum of nutritional value, and done the King proud. Limit yourself not to only chocolate though. There's a whole world of frosting to explore. Often, cans of frosting are on sale for under two bucks each. Buy several. Experiment. Coconut pecan is simply wonderful. Vanilla as well. Cherry is an acquired taste. During the holiday season I make a lot of cookies. More than a thousand. Heirloom recipes handed down from my mom, grandmothers and great-grandmothers. My great-grandmother, known to me always as Nana, had a recipe for frosted oatmeal cookies. They were, and still are my favorite. The recipe dates to the 19th Century. The frosting is made with a little butter, quite a bit of powdered sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, and the only liquid, coffee. Simply divine. I always quadruple (at least) the frosting recipe so that I have some sandwich spread left over. Instead of balloon bread though, I use an oatmeal bran variety. It just works for me. The health benefits of oat bran, the vitamins and minerals of peanut butter, the sugary goodness of the frosting. And it's caffeinated! I cannot fathom anything else to be sought in a sandwich. Food crime? Not in this jurisdiction. If you still have a problem, you could always sue me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Chocolate milk and Peanut Butter Crunch is WRONG??? What rule does it violate? hahaha....Actually it all sounds like a load of bull. Like the time that my snobby gourmet-loving brother-in-law informed me that pop tarts were not suitable for adults. What the heck does he know anyway?

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home