Friday, January 05, 2007

The cereal post can wait

The allegation is untrue. It is unfounded. And in light of current conditions, plain silly. I bought a new cookbook today. The Chicken and Poultry Bible. It was 50% off, so cost only $7.49. A bargain for a nice big hardcover cookbook. And the pictures! Mmmmmm. I can almost taste the chicken. At least smell it. As is my habit, I digress. It was alleged that I bought the cookbook because I might have been afraid I'd run out of books to catalog. Well, I have 31 shelves of books still to be cataloged. I'm not even half way through the project. And the project keeps taking unexpected turns. For example, I have printed a paper copy of each of these posts and put them in a three-ring binder. The notion struck me today that I shall catalog that binder. I'll even include a note that it is also "available in electronic format." I can also provide the URL in the bibliographic record. There's already a widget on Pedestrian Subjunctives displaying random book covers from my library. When I finish the cataloging, I can provide a link from here to there. And back. Things could get scary. Meta-scary. Somewhere in all of this lurks infinite regression. Or perhaps simply pretentious narcissism. I'm thinking of a number between one and ten. Not really. I'm really thinking of a confused Sonic Youth guitar solo played backwards at a slower speed than was intended. Time to rein things in. Dear Reader, believe me when I tell you that I bought the cookbook just because I like chicken. Do you like chicken Dear Reader?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home