Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Confession : the heat is on, at long last

My apartment is on the top floor, east side of the small complex. There is ceiling heat in both bedrooms and the kitchen. A heat lamp warms the bathroom. Ceiling heat is silly. These days. There was a time in the Pacific Northwest when hydro-electric plants were coming on line that we had an abundance of dirt-cheap electricity. Ceiling heat was the cheapest to install during construction. You get the idea? I should reap the benefits of the people who live below me, what with heat rising and all. I don't. They're pretty stingy. On the wall in my living room is a heater. Six years ago, during the first really cold snap after I moved in here, I turned it on. And then off. I recall a glowing orange coil in the wall. With the somewhat crowded furniture situation, I feared a fire. Death and destruction. That was that. I resigned myself to sweatshirts and keeping the curtains closed to preserve heat. Well, I have been suffering for a week from a pretty persistent cold. We have been having another really cold spell here in the valley. Friday, I looked at the thermometer inside my apartment. 44 degrees. Farenheit. I couldn't take it any longer. I moved furniture to clear the area around the wall heater, and turned it on. Oh, Dear Reader, the shame. There was no fiery ember in the wall. It was a warm air blower. What could I have been thinking six years ago? No more will my breath be visible in the living room. I am wallowing in warmth. 74 degrees of it. A few more days of sofa rest, healthy food, vitamin supplements (especially vitamin C) and I began to get better. The Hello Kitty fruit flavored snacks helped as well. They do have 100% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C. Tangy too. Almost a Gummi Bear texture and consistency to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home