Thursday, January 11, 2007

Didn't you? Aren't you? How have you been?

Aside from my Army service, I have spent my entire life here in Eugene. People have come. People have gone. Some have been born. Some have died. Paths that long ago diverged from one another cross again, if only briefly. I'll recognize someone in the checkout line. Even the express line. "Excuse me. Didn't you go to Spring Creek Elementary School?" Perfunctory "What are you doing these days?" and compliments extended to my memory. Then it's over. Paths again head out in their own directions. An author's name crossed my path. It was familiar. I thought a moment. I went to high school with her. Now she's a professor of anthropology in the Midwest, and writing. Last Saturday morning, I was on my way to catch a train north. I had some fruit in my bag, but stopped anyway at McDonalds to grab an Egg McMuffin for the trip. (This is the only situation in which I enter a McDonalds.) There are three other customers in front of me. One, a guy just waiting for his food. Two, a lady, also waiting for her food, but pacing. Three, a guy I recognized from elementary school. He's talking a lot, and fast. Something about his Egg McMuffin, hold the egg, substitute bacon. The floor manager turns to the food preparation area and says something. Number three asks somewhat loudly "What are you talking about?" He turns to the lady pacing and tells her about the gas-powered trailer he "got" last night. Then to One. "How ya doing? Would you vote for me for President? I'd get rid of the CIA and the FBI and rename the whole place Tweaker Island." One doesn't flinch. His mistake was making eye contact in the first place. He is fortunate though. His food is ready. He leaves swiftly. Two gets her food and bolts as well. At last, Three gets his food, sits down, recognizes (he thinks anyway) someone across the lobby, and begins to tell them about his new trailer. I did not say a word. No "Excuse me, but didn't you... Aren't you Richard D?" I know better. I see this guy occasionally, on his bike at odd hours, peering in car windows, surreptitiously and clumsily. I wonder what happened, aside from the obvious, that turned him into a critter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home