Monday, January 29, 2007

I got it covered

Penned by Richard Berry. Made famous by the Kingsmen. Hundreds of versions by, one would assume, hundreds of artists. Louie Louie. Covers. OK back to cataloging, specifically book covers. One of the Library Thing features that is neater than a cat's meow, is the ability to include the cover of a book with the bibliographic record. Not all book covers are available on line. I can live with that. For a while at least. But I cannot abide the wrong cover. One may change the cover in a record from the one that appears when a book is cataloged. But if the cover that matches the edition/printing being cataloged is not among the choices, it cannot be blanked. I prefer to display no cover at all rather than a cover that doesn't match my book in hand. It gnaws at me. Disturbs my slumber. I take the books in with me to work, scan the "correct" covers, and upload them to my catalog. This seems reasonable enough. I have no plans to systematically scan and upload all the covers that are missing from my catalog. No plans to do so "systematically." I'll get it done piece-meal. Somewhat arbitrarily. I did a search of Hemingway. Of the eleven entries retrieved, eight had covers displayed. So I took the three books for which covers were needed in to the library, scanned them, and uploaded them. I promise to do only a few a week. Scout's honor. Modern Ukrainian is already in my backpack for tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home